Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Favorite Mistake

Because some days you aren't sure if you should laugh or cry, I collect funny stories and answers from class.

Here are some of my favorite wrong answers from class over the years...

2000-2001

“Many Jews died by lethal interjection.”  (Holocaust research paper)

“Theatres in England closed from 1592 – 1594 due to the Great Depression.”

“Ms. Isaacs’ birthday is the same day, same month, same year as William Shakespeare’s.”

“Goering made a big compact on the times during WWII.”  (Holocaust research paper)

2001-2002

 “Unfortunately, my grandfather slipped into a comma.”

“Job Duties:  sweeping, moping, snack bar…” (on job application)


2003-2004

“I am really good at archery.  Especially with a bow and arrow.”  (as Artemis)

“Water is polluting our area and we need help.” 


2003-2004

“I am positive Hitler was one of our presidents, I just don’t remember which one.”

“Mark Twain helped [Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan, Nicolas Mandela, George W. Bush, Gen. Freddy Roosevelt, Johnson, George Washington, John Adams, President Franklin, George Clifton, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Richard Nixon] publish his memoirs.”

Name another book besides Tom Sawyer that MT wrote:  “Dr. Seuss.”

2004-2005

“Are Catholics mostly the people who celebrate Hanukkah?”

“The bullet hit the chest plate and Rica shaded at him.”  (instead of ricocheted in a story).

“Are Quakers the people who think you shouldn’t kill bugs?  And didn’t they discover some land?…..or was that the Vikings?”

Here is actual dialogue from one of my classes today.  The context is that some of my students were wanted to talk about some school issues, and they asked me if I was picked on in school.

Me:  I really hated junior high.  So, here I am.  In 7th grade every day for the rest of my life.  I had a choice on how to respond.  Be a serial killer, or be a middle school teacher.

Vince (one of my kids):  Which one had a better dental plan?

It took me a little while to recover from laughing at that one.  :)


2006 – 2007
What was Mark Twain’s real name?
Roger Clemens


When given the assignment of writing about a time they were lost and frightened (in relation to Tom Sawyer being lost in the cave), one student wrote about all of the places he was “lost” in the novel and didn’t understand it.


“We need more adoption where they can give up their babies miscellaneously.”

2007-2008

In a capitalization exercise, students were to underline any words that should be capitalized in the sentence.

3)     the siegels are moving to long island on Friday.

I had THREE students tell me that they did not underline “siegels” because it is a common noun:  the name of type of bird.

2009-2010

What was Mark Twain’s real name?
Dude Mgee
Mark Johnson
Samuel Adams
Steve

What former president did Twain help publish his memoirs?
Nixon
Grover Cleveland
John F. Kennedy
J.R. Kennedy

Name another book MT wrote:
Inicents of Broad  (Innocents Abroad)

No comments:

Post a Comment